Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Shiny Turkey!

It's IMPENDING THANKSGIVING!

Okay, so I know it's not here yet, but ahhhhhhhhhh who cares. Thanksgiving! It's one of my favorite holidays (next to Arbor Day which, I believe, celebrates the invention of British port o'calls. I could be wrong.)

Weeks before Thanksgiving, my family used to have a "Thankful Jar". You'd write whatever you were thankful for on it and stick it in the jar, which we would upend and read on Thanksgiving. It was interesting to try and guess who put what in there, from "I'm thankful for sleep" (the current teen of the house, to be sure) to "I'm thankful for Saturdays" (Mom or Dad, probably) and "I'm thankful for Arbor Day" (uh...the cat). It's a good tradition, a happy tradition. I'm thankful for the Thankful Jar.

So, as Thanksgiving rolls ever so closer, I'm thinking of things to put in the Thankful Jar when Preston and I get back to Arizona for the holiday. I'm thankful for my awesome husband, thankful for school, books, truffles, writing groups, ravioli, bleach, beach, blankets and bingo, in no particular order. I'm thankful to be seeing the warm blue skies of Arizona in a few days and, more importantly, to see my fabulous family.

We would have a thankful jar here in Boston, but the cat would just knock it down as she did the vase, the computer, my glasses, a mug full of tea...

Oh yes, I'm thankful for superglue, too.

6 comments:

Judy and Bill said...

The thankful jar will be waiting for you. As for me...."I am thankful for you and you, too, Preston!"

C.M. Cowen said...

I'm thankful you're coming to Arizona! Dude. I have The Fountain on DVD, wanna watch? C'mon! I know Preston does! I could find something else mildly uncomfortable and weird.

How 'bout this? I'm thankful the tree of life ate Hugh Jackman.

Katrina said...

Love the idea for the thankful jar! Your cat can't be worse than mine - she ate Mason's flip-flop & had to go to the vet, where they made fun of me for having a dumb cat! (There's a pic of the flip-flop on my blog - 'cuz people don't believe me!)

dance all day said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dance all day said...

hey - can't wait to see you - I'm thankful for phone tag - without it what would we talk about?

Hills' Angels said...

Hmmmm. She's thankful for bleach and superglue. Doesn't that make some sort of noxious gas? Do I have a terrorist sister on my hands? Will I be drug out of my bed in the middle of the night by the CIA because I wrote the word "terrorist" in my comment...
I'm thankful for our blessed US of A... And Katrina's comment about her cat.