Sunday, April 19, 2009

The gospel according to Duncan MacLeod

So at my church I'm in charge of the Primary, or the little ones from ages 1-12. This week we were a little shorthanded (congratulations on new Mr. Baby Broderick!) but with all the teachers' awesome powers combined, we were totally Captain Planet, church style. Wind! Earth! Scriptures! Prayer! Heart! Cupcakes! (no really...the cupcakes totally keep them well behaved.)

Anyways...long ago, the CD player that sat in the nursery for the itty bitty littlies (ages 1.5 to 3) was hooliganized away, so we've had to make do with singing the songs ourselves. I decided that this was to be no more and brought in my laptop to play some nice happy Sunday music for them.

Unbeknowst to me (I was off teaching another class at the time) sometimes a laptop can be too much of a temptation for little hands and button punching was soon underway. With iTunes being the user friendly beast that it is, the kids were soon watching whatever was next on my iTunes list after the children's hymns...which just so happened to be The HIGHLANDER TV Series.

"It was the strangest thing," a parent said to me afterward. "One minute they were listening to 'Give Said the Little Stream' and the next, it was a guy in a mask talking about how he wanted to chop someone's head off."

Luckily, it was shut off pretty quick.

I think what's really embarrassing here is not so much the fact that I inadvertently exposed some poor kids to mid-nineties bad acting and violent swordplay...but the fact that I have it on my iTunes. And I watch it pretty often.

We gotta find that CD player.

8 comments:

Bill Thompson said...

Ha! Anything to keep the little ones entertained!

Cheryl and William said...

That is hilarious! You were just trying to make sure that the parents were listening

licensed to touch said...

In the future, you should assume that a little one will stop WHATEVER he is doing in order to push the happy, shiny, exciting buttons on a laptop. Nothing, but NOTHING is more fun with which to play.

Free Ice Cream said...

Ahhhh Kristi that is pretty darn awesome you have that on your computer. I have the biggest grin on my face. I think you know why:)

Katrina said...

That is hilarious & I bet the kids won't soon forget it! You should tell them that the scenes from "Highlander" may happen to them if they touch your laptop again! (this is why I'm no longer in Primary - hee hee)

C.M. Cowen said...

That's one of my biggest fears in my classroom! Thankfully, all I have is "Twilight" and "The Mummy" as far as videos go. Well, I might have a copy of "Charlie the Unicorn." My home computer would be a nightmare, though. :)

Hills' Angels said...

Ohhh I am laughin too hard! Cryin a bit!!!

gbulson said...

I have the guitar from that intro, just thought you should know.