Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Road: you have died of trout poisoning

Once upon a time, Preston and I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. His aunt hated it, his brother hated it and we . . . well, we didn't hate it. We appreciated it. But it wasn't heartwarming by any means. The writing is sparse and gray, echoing the book's tone itself and although I couldn't put it down, it was simultaneously painful to pick up. I'm not going to "spoiler alert" this, so I won't go too deep into the plot itself, but imagine a dark, post-apocalyptic world with little food, hope, or quotation marks. Thus is The Road.


A few chapters into it, I had a horrible dream that found you, me and everyone we know in similar Road-like conditions (as opposed to Roadhouse conditions, which would have been awesome and far less frightening. Maybe). The dream sufficiently freaked me out, so I didn't want to keep reading but Preston assured me that it got better. The next night, I had another dream in which husband had made a fluffy pastel book cover for The Road so I'd be less scared. Even in my dream, he still really wanted me to finish . . . mostly, I think, so we could talk about the last paragraph. (Norman Maclean, anyone?)


When I woke up, I decided to compromise, using a fluffy pastel birthday card as a bookmark. Success! Fooling me out of my own emotions with color is fun! I finally finished the book.


I tell this story to tell another: the movie's coming out this Thanksgiving, and we've recently discovered a really strange movie tie-in: Survive the Road: the video game. It's a post apocalyptic Oregon Trail! Unfortunately, you can't hunt buffalo and (spoiler alert) you always die. And boy howdy, this time around it's not diphtheria.


Our mockery of such a strange, inappropriate way of advertising the movie has led us down the slippery slope of full blown obsession with the game. Much like the book (and perhaps the movie, I don't know yet) the game is long and depressing but for some reason, I can't stop thinking about it. So here it is: http://www.survivetheroadgame.com. Someone please try to beat it for me. Then tell me how.

And, if you would, spell it out for me in butterflies.

3 comments:

C.M. Cowen said...

Hey, that movie is coming out just in time for the holidays. I imagine it's meant to spread as much cheer as 2012. Dan's been bugging me to check out this movie. I'd offer to wait to see it until you an Preston get here, but judging by our last movie (The Fountain, anyone?) we might just want to pass on that and have dinner instead!

And my confession is this...I actually started to appreciate The Fountain. I can honestly say I really thought about that movie a lot after I saw it - weird as it was.

K. Marie Criddle said...

You know, I heard somewhere that "The Fountain" is really a Western representation of a lot of aspects of Buddhist philosophy...I think knowing that and watching it again, I might be more inclined to like it. Then again, the second time around I won't be expecting Wolverine-y-ness. :)

Still, I vote dinner! Can't wait to see you guys! I don't know if I can handle "The Road" movie. I can honestly barely handle the video game.

C.M. Cowen said...

Put in your requests! I shall prepare a feast...or at least some food that's edible enough to digest. :)