Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Interview! And a flashback Tuesday...

Today, the wonderful and talented Susan Kaye Quinn interviewed me over at her blog! She's doing a week of "Art Appreciation" and I can't tell you how humbled and happy I am that she appreciates my art. Head on over! Take a look! Enjoy all the other artists and enter her contest! DO IT.

It's here! C'mere!

So in the last few weeks of moving and rearranging my life, a lot of old notebooks and sketchbooks have popped up, giving me a chance to look over the last ten years of my existence in a sketched out form. As with any old journals, there's moments of lucidity, embarrassment, surprise and shock. The crazy thing is that even a drawing of a weird yellow dolphin elicits some sort of memory: where I was, what I was thinking or pining after, etc. Anything from our pasts can do that, really, but I guess I didn't realize how my late teens were so full of snake ladies and men in skirts.

So despite how embarrassing this may be, I thought I'd share a page or two from these old sketchbooks. Prehistoric drawgs! This is, frankly, what the inside of my brain looked like in 2001. Oh, but not now! No...I'm so much more organized and mature...now. Er. Ahem.

Enjoy. Or not. Do what you will.


That's that. Sketchbooks are my memories, though they be strange and scaly ones. What's brings out the nostalgia in you?

11 comments:

Natalie Whipple said...

Ahhh, good times. I remember a lot when I find my old drawings too!

Those were pretty awesome. Forget flying cars in the future—I can't wait for Men In Skirts to happen.

Kristan said...

So cool! I think it's fun to look back and see how far we've come. :)

K. Marie Criddle said...

I know! Don't you ever wish you would have come a little further, though? I swear I still can't draw legs (hence the snake tail) and I've apparently been trying for a good ten years now. Ah well. Thanks for indulging me. :)

Taryn Tyler said...

it's always interesting to get a peek of what goes on (or went on) inside someone else's mind. Thank you for sharing these.

Adam Heine said...

So cool. Reminds me I need to start drawing just for me, just for fun.

Ah, but drawing is so low on the priority list...

fairyhedgehog said...

This is absolutely fascinating. It makes me want to get out my sketch book and doodle again.

Free Ice Cream said...

Your welcome for the pencils. As for what brings out the nostalgia, I must say the thousands of pictures in boxes and iPhoto. The eyes, the smiles, the expressions, I think you know the one I am talking about.

Free Ice Cream said...

You're------ugh..sorry

Ayi, the One and (L)Only said...

What about the Chinese ones?! I was the MOST honored to have touched, felt, and tasted them in person...ahem, I mean, not tasted. Esp when you weren't looking, I didn't.

So glad the interview went well. Miss you too much.

Come back.

M.M.M. said...

Kristi.
I think you are awesome. So I think I am going to come visit you in California sometime. Especially since I am tired of being hot. And tired of being tired. But I don't think there is much I can do about that.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

It was wonderful to have you over at Ink Spells last week - thanks again for that!

And the sketches are hilarious. And you use the word malificent. So. Awesome.