Thursday, March 17, 2011

Give support and love to Japan & get a really rad book.

So, the week has been a disastrous one for our brothers and sisters overseas in Japan, Hawaii and anywhere else affected by Sunday night's earthquake. Most of us are lucky enough to live in areas that have never seen devastation like this and, in the wake of this terrible event, most of our family and friends are safe and happy. Such is not the case for tens of thousands of others halfway across the globe.

A lot of us--myself included--are left wringing our hands in grief, wondering what we can do to help. I want to do what little I can in bringing awareness to a few of the charities that are open to donations of money and goods to help the people of Japan in this time.

The Red Cross
Save the Children
International Medical Corps
ShelterBox
UNICEF
Doctors Without Borders

And of course I know there are a million more places that would benefit from our support. Please consider a donation, a blanket, a tweet raising awareness, ANYTHING that might help the people displaced and otherwise affected by the earthquake.

Now here's the mildly cool part. I'm obsessed with books in different languages and years ago, I got my hands on a few Japanese language edition Harry Potters (do I pluralize Potters or editions? I DIGRESS.) And I've giving one of them away! All you have to do is leave a comment on this here post. That's it! No extra nothings. Just leave a comment and you might get a hardcover of this:


Oooh, isn't that shiny? It can be yours, if the random number is right!

Please, however, consider donating or spreading the word. Not necessarily about this contest (although that'd be rad) but about how we can help Japan. We are a world of amazing people! There is no limit to the good we can do.

So comment! Donate! Tweet! Blog! Go have lunch! Do whatever you do and do it well! Contest is open until Thursday, March 31st at midnight. And it is open internationally.

UPDATE:

The Random Number Gods smile highly on...Peggy! Congrats, Peggy!


E-mail me your address at kmcriddle (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll get that beautiful book out to you as soon as I can. Congrats! And thank you to everyone who stopped by and commented and to everyone who continues to stop by. You guys seriously make my day. I would totally take you all out for ginger ale and cheese fries if I could.

12 comments:

Peggy said...

That's a totally shiny book!

What happened in Japan... not so much. :'(

Keriann Greaney Martin said...

Yay, Harry Potter is the coolest! I was in Italy a few years ago and saw some Italian editions. It was so weird, but so awesome!

Stephanie Thornton said...

Great list of charities! We donated to Save the Children- my daughter wanted to help kids and gave up part of her piggy bank money.

Awesome looking book!

Miss Lou said...

You're the bestest. I'm here because I love you and not because I want a book. Give it to someone more in need.

I love you, my fav artist/blogger!

Yvette said...

I'll repost this on my Facebook. Love ya friend!

Free Ice Cream said...

I'll throw my hat in cause I love sushi.

Preston said...

Oh wow! a Japanese Harry Potter! I am soon going to move to Japan and I am trying to collect Harry Potter's in every countries language of origin I go to. So far I have collected the English translation. I know it's not alot but you have to start somewhere. I hope I win, well I hope Japan wins first though, and Charlie Sheen is dead last.

K. Marie Criddle said...

Hee hee. Pres, you can borrow my other one. Why aren't you off learning Japanese instead of reading blogs??

Steph! said...

Awesome book! I had an old friend collect all the British HPs.

Kristiner said...

Count me in!

gbulson said...

I believe the correct wording is, "editions of Harry Potter". Also the correct result is, "Geoff Wins!"

Nat Attack said...

You're doing a lovely thing by donating something from your collection. Way to give back KMC!