Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blog, you seek blog! Take you to it, I will.

I've made no secret out of the fact that I was, am, and always will be a nerd. But the other night during a brief packing frenzy, I uncovered this little gem of proof in my "I swear I will scrapbook this one day" box.

You see, before the prequels came out--before even the special editions reared their ugly heads--I adored Star Wars. I followed my sister to comic book stores to sift through piles of dusty Kenner toys from the 70s, looking for the elusive "Han Solo in Carbonite" figurine. I played X-Wing endlessly on the computer (still, to this day, saying "shields down, hull damaged, destroyed" when I'm tired at night.) Only a choice few understood me. The rest were none too supportive and for a ninth grader, being mocked for even something as silly as a devotion to sci-fi can be pretty devastating.

However, when the remastered THX editions came out fifteen years ago, I knew I had to get SOMEONE to watch it with me, if only to swoon over Han Solo's redigitized smile.

So, being my unabashedly nerdy 14 year-old self, I planned a party (imagine this folded in half like a card):


And get this...despite my worst fears, people actually came! Never mind the fact that it was on the same night as a huge school dance, PEOPLE CAME! Even people that had outright MOCKED me for my devotion to a hokey show and ancient special effects came! I reveled in the joy of introducing a bunch of friends to the glory and magic that was Star Wars (before Lucas ruined it...ANOTHER POST, ANOTHER DAY.) We even watched HARDWARE WARS between Empire and Jedi!

Adult nerds, I know that most of us have come to happy nerdly terms with ourselves. But nerdlings! This is for you: never be afraid of who you are and what you like. Never be ashamed of your interests, your poor spelling, your admission that you can't provide all the food at your own party single-handedly ("Munchies! Bring some!") Unlike Star Wars over time, life gets better! No matter who you are and what you love, there are people out there just like you...and they're waiting to find you, too. Be loud. Be proud. And please send me an invitation to all your awesome parties.

(I promise to bring munchies.)

17 comments:

Elizabeth Barry said...

I bathe in my nerd-dom! Haha! I will surely send you an invite to our next nerd party ;p Amazing that you found that piece of paper! I am showing it to my brother, our family Star Wars guru, as I type!

Kristan said...

Lol omg how CUTE were you?!??!?! I SO would have gone to that party, and I didn't even like Star Wars. (For some reason I had it in my head that the Star Trek and Star Wars fandoms were at war, and as a loyal Trekkie, I must then hate SW. Whoops!)

"(still, to this day, saying "shields down, hull damaged, destroyed" when I'm tired at night.)" - hehe, apparently you're STILL adorable!

K. Marie Criddle said...

Elizabeth - Yay! Nerd-dom for all! I await the invite with geek glee. :D

Kristan - Aw, I would have welcomed you, Spock ears and all! I totally understand the rivalry, though...I thought I couldn't enjoyed ST openly because of SW! So nice to realize the two can live in harmony now.

sarah said...

Yes! Awesome invite!

The first time I saw Star Wars was in high school. And somehow, after all that time, no one had ever spoiled it for me. So there I was in my basement, sculpting a Peter Pan diorama, and when Darth Vader made his big reveal, and I was SO shocked I threw Captain Hook's head into the wall.

Myrna Foster said...

I don't think anyone ever made fun of me for loving Star Wars. I had friends who made fun of me for reading books with character names like Frodo and Bilbo, though.

Queen 'Bina said...

I still have that invitation! And that was an awesome party! I remember I invited a certain too-popular-for-me-but-is-somehow-still-interested-in-me boy and he was psyched to come! To see me (oh, and Leia in her gold bikini)! But that was just gravy. I always had a blast watching SW with you. You make it sound like you were a lone trail blazer in your excessive nerdiness. You had company, my friend.

Steph! said...

That is AWESOME!! Seeing your map made me all nostalgic too... Do your parents still live there?

K. Marie Criddle said...

Sarah - Ha!! Poor Captain Hook! How cool to watch it unspoiled like that. Now if Captain Hook had been Peter Pan's father...

Myrna - I totally get ya...although this was before Star Wars got popular again, so I think it was lumped in with the entire sci-fi/fantasy genre. The LOTR got popular and now who's laughing! (Well, probably still them but we're enjoying ourselves more, I'd like to think.)

And Robin, I would be totally remiss and ungrateful not to acknowledge that my wonderful friend Robin stood with me at all times in enjoying the finer, nerdier things in life. I've never been so grateful to have a kindred spirit in weirdness than I was in junior high. You're the phaser bomb.

K. Marie Criddle said...

Steph! They do, indeed...I had to blur out some names but I figured some people could still fill them in mentally. Man, you guys were the best next door neighbors EVER. :D

Adam Heine said...

I love the internet. We would've been such good friends, if I'd had any friends that were girls.

Hills' Angels said...

I think we were findin M&M's for at least a year and a half after that! That was cool and I have always admired your desire to be who you are!

K. Marie Criddle said...

Adam - I'm sorry, I'm still laughing about your "chickening" comment over at anthdrawlogy. Internet friends foreva!

Beth - Aw, I love you, sissy!

David Kazzie said...

that's awesome. I wish I could go back and embrace my inner geekdom a little more.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post! I just officially survived--er, graduated--high school, and I am hosting a Harry Potter Fest on July 14th. I would like to extend to you an honorary invitation. :)

K. Marie Criddle said...

David - As long as you do a good job of embracing it now, I'm sure the League of Nerds will forgive you. :D

Anon - Consider me honorarily THERE! And I will bring honorary butterbeer and Bertie Botts. Have a GREAT time!

linda said...

Your invitation is adorable! Unfortunately I have to admit I've never see the entire Star Wars trilogy in its entirety. Many of my friends were horrified to hear it, but we never got around to rectifying it...

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Absolute rock-solid proof of your awesomeness. As if there was any doubt.