Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Partying, partying (yeah) writing, partying (yeah)

The other day, my husband and I were standing in a bookstore. This is not an unusual situation. Despite any issues I may have with my current residence, I'm pleased with the fact that my grocery store and the bookstore are literally next door to one another. So. There we were, picking up some milk and two seconds later, we found ourselves in the bookstore. 

Husband (pointing to a book's cover): Wait. Don't you know that person? I didn't know they were published. You talk to her on twitter.
Me: Yeah, she's pretty awesome!
Him (pointing to another): That one lives here in San Diego, huh?
Me: You've met her. Twice. And her editor is the one I ran into at that one conference, remember?
Him: So...does everyone get together for some big party online? Is that what you're doing on the computer? Just having one big party?
Me (thinking for a moment): Yes. Some writing. But mostly parties.

As frustrating as certain parts of writing can be (making the introvert share, the waiting, the endless revising) in the end, it's an incredibly fun job. And the writing community that can be found through blogs, twitter, Facebook and now Google plus (help, I've overnetworked and I can't disconnect!)...ahem, this amazing community is so supportive and helpful and...well, it's JUST PLAIN AWESOME. There's contests and auctions, endless cheering and instruction. Got a question/problem/idea? Put it out there and someone will answer/fix it/LOVE IT.

Whoever we are---a reader a writer, a reviewer, an illustrator or NYT Bestseller---we are all at the SAME PARTY. And at that awesome party, we're all working together to make books. Books, people! Who could resist such a thing?

This is for my husband, who thinks this is the reason I'm always making cookies (and, subsequently, going on a lot of milk runs):


And everyone I missed? They're in the kitchen. Still partying, partying YEAH.

18 comments:

Kristan said...

LOL love that the spambot got to come too.

THIS. THIS is what I love about the online writing community. Thank you!

Brandy Heineman said...

"Party crasher (likes cupcakes)" *giggle* This drawg is pure win. :D

Peggy Eddleman said...

The writing community has the best parties!

I look at this picture and think once again, Dang. I need to get on Twitter, because there's a party going on over there that I'm missing!

Keriann Greaney Martin said...

This is EXACTLY what our Twitter parties look like *snicker*. I agree, it's nice of you to let the spambot party too :).

Thanks for inviting me to the party too :).

K. Marie Criddle said...

Kristan - I know...I can't thank the community enough for what they've done as a collective for writer me. I LOVE OUR WORLD.

Brandy - hee! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Peggy - This is Twitter calling. We hear you're awesome. Won't you please join us? FOREVER? (reign it in, Twitter, you're sounding creepy.) Oh, I mean...join us?

K. Marie Criddle said...

Keriann - Well, I figure that spambots crash the party so much anyway, might as well make them invited guests. :) Even though all she talks about is Bieber, iPads and writing jobs. Still...

beth said...

I love that you included a cat!

K. Marie Criddle said...

Beth - Hee! Well, I figure a cat is pretty integral to a lot of people's writing process (as well as the dog) so I couldn't leave them out. :)

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

You need to stop being so awesome. I can barely keep up.

Fuel. Brainz. Fuel. Brainz. Oh, wait, cupcakes! ;)

Miss Lou said...

I see you, Veda Bee and Flux's spirit...but where am I? :(

Teralyn Rose Pilgrim said...

I remember when I got 12 twitter followers and being so excited. Good times!

K. Marie Criddle said...

Susan - Aw, stop it...you're making me blush! TAKE A CUPCAKE BEFORE I CRY.

Sabrina - You and I are hiding under the table eating Upper Crust Pizza so no one else gets a piece. :) (I know I missed some people...I noticed that right as I put it up. GAH!)

Teralyn - I know! Seriously, I still get so giddy every time someone adds me. I don't think I'll ever get over that. :D

linda said...

Hehe I love this! Twitter is still kind of intimidating to me, but I'm very slowly learning to be less shy about chatting with people. But yeah I remember being sooo amazed and touched when someone I followed in the blogosphere talked to me on Twitter for the first time!

Nicholas Tozier said...

Hi! I found this site through Kristan's blog. I came to this party from the party next door, is what I'm saying.

I think this is a great attitude to have. A lot of writers seem to have a bad attitude about marketing and self-promotion, seeing it as an undesirable grind. But really, it's an excuse to party and meet some fascinating new people. What's better than that?!

I love the cartoon. It's a good reminder that the Internet--despite all the spambots and the information overload--is a fundamentally human place.

I recommend kicking off your daily inbox dive by blasting one of Craig Fergusons "Check the Tweets and Answer E-mails" theme song, by the way.

K. Marie Criddle said...

Linda - I so hear you! It's amazing the people who are so successful yet SO willing to chat to us "little guys." It's such an amazing platform. And why am I not following you?? Must...correct...this...

Nicholas - Yay!! Thanks so much for stopping by! I agree, the internet--for all its LOLcats and whatnot--is run by people, including us. If we want it to be a party, we can make it so! And double plus good points for mentioning Craig Ferguson. You are in good company here, sir!

Jodi Meadows said...

Love this!!

(Here via YA Highway's roundup.)

Miss Lou said...

I can't believe you gave away our secret (life of porky pig) on national blogspot live

K. Marie Criddle said...

Jodi - Thank you so much for stopping by! I owe a lot to YA Highway for featuring it!

SABRIIIIINA - Don't worry, I will not tell them what toppings we get and exactly how long it takes us to eat an entire pizza the size of a dining table. SECRETS IZ SAFE.